Special Falafel Recipe
Our featured Falafel recipe is good for a serving 8-10 w/
a special bread w/ spicy sauce and more tahini sauce👌👌👌
- 1 lb of dry peeled fava beans*
- ¾ lbs of dried chickpeas (aka Garbanzo beans)
- 1 bunch of Italian parsley (chop away the stems)
- 2 bunches of green cilantro (chop away the stems)
- 8-10 cloves of freshly peeled garlic, crushed
- 1 large red or yellow onion
- 1 bunch of green onions
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- A dash of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 dash of red chili pepper (optional, if spicy falafel is desired)
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 3 teaspoons of Coriander
Falafel Tahini Sauce Ingredients
- 2 Tablespoons of Tahini Paste
- 1 cup of freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- a dash of salt
Optional Falafel Serving Sides
- Salty Lebanese Pickles (cucumbers, turnips, pickled chili peppers)
- Chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Pita bread
Preparing the Falafel Mix
- Soak the fava beans and the chickpeas in water in separate containers overnight.
- The following day drain the fava beans, rinse them with fresh water then peel them (you can save time by buying peeled fava beans).
- Dry fava beans in a colander for a few moments then run them in the food processor for a minute or two until they look like thin bread crumbs. Put aside in a large bowl.
- Similarly, rinse and dry the chickpeas then run them in the food processor until they reach the same consistency of the Fava beans. Pour on top of fava beans.
- Place the garlic, red onions, green onions, parsley, cilantro, coriander, salt, peppers, and flour in the food processor and run for a couple of minutes until they turn into a paste.
- Add them to the container with the fava beans and Chickpeas and knead with hands until they reach a doughy texture. If they feel dry add a bit of water and kneed a bit more. At this point feel free to taste the Falafel mix to make sure it has a balanced flavor.
Frying the Falafel
- minutes prior to frying, sprinkle baking soda on the Falafel mix, knead, and let rest. When ready heat 1 inch deep of cooking oil in the frying pan on medium heat
- Scoop the falafel into by using a specialized Falafel scoop, an ice cream scoop, or by using 2 spoons whereby you scoop the falafel paste in one and press the other spoon against it to compact into a “cake” then drop gently into the frying pan.
- Fry for a few minutes until the falafel turns brownish then scoop them out place on a paper town or in a colander and to dry out the extra oil.
Baking the Falafel
- For the health-conscious, you can scoop then layer the falafel patties on an aluminum/cooking tray that has been lightly oiled and bake in the oven at 400F for 7-10 minutes.
Falafel Tahini Sauce Preparation
- Mix the Tahini sauce ingredients in the blender until they reach a homogeneous texture.
- Sample to ensure a balance of flavors. A good Falafel Tahini sauce should taste a bit tangy with a hint of garlic.. the sauce should end up looking cream/whitish.
- Serve as a side/dip.
Putting Together the Falafel Sandwich
- While still hot, crush cooked falafel balls along the diameter of pita bread, garnish with some chopped parsley leaves, add a tablespoon of Tahini sauce, add some tomatoes, salted pickles, roll and enjoy.